idealistic, confused, 20something mom rambling about life

Thursday, June 10, 2004

We were discussing hegemony and americanization when this guy goes "but dont we want this? I do notice political things and I like watching tv" and bla bla. He was responding to the professor's comment of how we unknowingly buy into alot that the culture, media, state propagates. I thought this guy was playing the devil's advocate, but sadly those were his real views. it doesnt help that he's white.
I raised my hand and answered him, looking him in the eye. He was defending the U.S in not so many words. He is one of those who subscribe to the view of Bush, the saviour, bloody ignorant gora. But i started shaking. My voice quivered. As I finished talking I noticed my fingers...they were moving, shivering. As if I was cold. This always happens to me when i contradict someone so vocally, so openly. I feel this huge rush of emotion, of anger and adrenaline- all in one and then i shiver.It takes me time to recover but im satisfied i said my piece.
They hold the G8 summit in a remote part of town so noone will be able to protest. They spend trillions on military when they could cure world hunger with less than half that amount..and he says its ok.
As the other guy in my class said "whoever thinks that today the world is a happy place, is kidding himself"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home