idealistic, confused, 20something mom rambling about life

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

its surprising how i have so much bravado now. I mean I actually told a guy off today out of sheer frustration.
woohoo for me!
I just hate it when these stupid jerks turn up in class not having grown up at all and full of shit.
I saw the TA (Mohd his name was) in lecture and i could tell he was desi. In fact i was pretty sure he was memon, from karachi, maybe from Lahore, late twenties, probably did his bachelors back in Pakistan. I had him all figured out. Well i was wrong. He was originally from Bangladesh and had done his uni in Singapore.
When i got to the class, he was talking ... very desi accent. Sort of like Apu in Simpsons
(its sad that i have to compare him to a character created by the west of how they look at us south asians - little do they know it breeds racism and xenophobia) so the stupid white guy in the second row was smirking away with his friend. The TA said stuff like "when you come to iskool" and "prospective" for perspective. Dont get me wrong . i dont judge by accent - the guy is doing his phD but this frikking gora certainly was judging by accent. (Interestingly the prof -white woman - for this course did not tell us which TA will hold which tutorial and she said "i have alot of faith in all of them". One smartass student asked "which tutorial is Mohd leading?" and the prof replied "going by names are you? well let me tell you you shouldnt go by names".this prof is my dream come true)
so getting back to the jerk in class, he was trying to trick Mohd into looking foolish and asked some really dumb question. and yours truly shot back.I ?? lil ol me! nothing big - just told him off. And a girl from the back said something too.
ullu ka pattha. whispers to his friends "so the whole class needs to answer a question for the guy(TA)"

Then the TA took attendance. He asked my name - it wasnt in his list. I was in the wrong class! He told me where my tutorial was which was two doors down. I rush and guess what? There sitting on the desk talking rather softly is a Russian guy who is being smirked at. This guy is worse. I mean he has no idea that we cant hear him and he's going on and on in a monotone. I wish that brat in my first class could see this guy.
What i dont understand is, with a subject like sociology that TEACHES one to be sensitive and aware of other people and not judge - how can this white guy be so racist? but i guess im not that much better either..i mean i judged the guy too...but it just really bugged me that here is a Russian guy - equally hard to understand, speaks equally accented english - but its the brown guy thats the butt of their jokes.

khoon khaulta hai mera...the best part abt the course is the prof. yesterday she made a comment about how the author of our book talks about Ibn Khaldun - the Morroccan icon . She said " unfortunately thats as far as he(author) will go to include nonWesterners"....she is so damn cool

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home